Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Cooking Turkish


Ever since we moved to Port Kembla, I've gotten to know the owners of some of the local shops on our street. Our street is kind of abandoned, but still buzzing with activity during the day with that small town kind of feel. One local shop that I visit frequently is Port Kembla fruit and vegetable market. It is a family-owned business owned by a family originally from Turkey. Once, the dad invited my friend Britani and I upstairs above the shop to try the food he was cooking. We went up with the mom, the dad, and little five year-old boy and ate the most amazing meal. Afterwards, he invited us to come back and to learn to cook a Turkish meal!

Last Saturday, we took him up on the offer. 4 other girls and I showed up, and he graciously bought ingredients while we hung out with his son and his cute cat, Henry. :) We learned to cook an incredible Turkish stir fry and these sort of fritter things with chicken mince, potato, onion, and egg. While we cooked, the grandfather told us some unreal stories of growing up in Cypress. It was a wonderful time enjoying the hospitality of this family above their shop. Then of course we got to try it, and it was AMAZING! Now I'm going to have to try out my Turkish cooking skills. Here are some photos we took...
This is me mashing this stuff with my hands.


Watching carefully... how many eggs are you putting in that??

Enjoying after cooking... the best part!

Turkish stir fry!


My roommate, Jenn, and I

No comments:

Post a Comment